Summer here in the US is all about blueberries because they are in season from April to September. You’ll find them by the buckets at the grocery store and of course, that’s when I end up making all kinds of blueberry recipes, like these delicious blueberry muffins.
Making muffins is probably one of the easiest and most forgiving cake recipes you will find because all you have to do is mix everything, pour the batter into the muffin pans and bake. And this recipe is no exception, plus you don’t have to make it with just blueberries. I have made it with blackberries, raspberries and even cherries and have been extremely happy with the results.
As for the sugar topping that I use, it’s completely optional. I usually use turbinado sugar because I have a big box of it in my pantry, plus it looks really nice on top of the muffins. But other times I just use a mixture of a small amount of white granulated sugar with ground cinnamon, nothing fancy. But you can also make them without it and they will still come out great.
- 1½ cup (210 g) all purpose flour
- ¾ cup (150 g) white granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ salt
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk (I like to use whole milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (100 g) blueberries, rinsed
- 3-4 tbsp coarse sugar to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Pre-heat oven at 400ºF (204ºC).
- In a large bowl mix all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the oil, milk, vanilla extract and large egg and mix well.
- Pour the milk and egg mixture into the flour mixture and mix to combine. Add 1-2 more tbsp of milk if you notice that the mixture is dry, which tends to happen when the air temperature is hot and dry. Now, fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon the batter into prepared muffin cups. I like to line mine with cupcake liners for easy cleanup and I only fill each one about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Take them out of the oven and let them cool on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes before serving.