Since I started this wild adventure with Sweet y Salado almost five years ago, I usually get all kinds of requests each week. Besides asking for more Colombian recipes and all kinds of desserts, the one request I get the most is how to make quick meals. Those meals that you end up making when you don’t have a lot of time and everyone at home wants to eat as soon as possible.
It’s during those occasions that I always end up making some sort of stir-fry. Stir-fry meals are made over high heat and that’s why they are ready in no time at all. On the blog I already have this recipe for making a delicious shrimp stir-fry, if you’re interested. And today, we’re going to make a chicken stir-fry that I have been making for a very long time and that always comes out really yummy.
As I mentioned earlier, stir-fries are usually made over high heat and that is why it is not recommended to make them in non-stick pans, mainly to avoid any kind of damage to the pan. However, since this recipe is made with oyster sauce and cornstarch, it almost always ends up sticking horribly to any other kind of pan or wok. So, the option on which kind of pan or wok you use is really up to you, but I wanted to share that information before you end up with a hot, sticky mess in your pan like it happened to me the first few times I made this recipe.
I chose to use red bell pepper, zucchini and carrot for this recipe, but feel free to use any vegetables of your choice. Just remember that it is always best to start stir frying the thickest vegetables first and the thinnest last so they can cook somewhat evenly.
- 2½ tbsp soy sauce
- 2½ tbsp oyster sauce
- 2½ tbsp dry sherry
- ¼ tsp sesame oil
- 1½ tbsp cornstarch
- ¼-½ tsp salt
- 2 boneless chicken breast halves cut into thin strips or slices
- 1 medium red bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 1 medium zucchini cut into slices
- ½ cup grated carrots, about one medium carrot (I like to make thin strips with my potato peeler)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (divided)
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- In a large bowl mix the soy sauce, oyster sauce, dry sherry, oil, cornstarch and salt. Add the chicken, mix thoroughly and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a large pan or wok over high heat. Stir fry the red bell pepper strips for about 3 minutes. Now add the zucchini slices and cook for about 2 minutes. Finally add the grated carrot and cook for 1-2 more minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining tbsp of vegetable oil and add the chicken. Stir fry it until it's no longer pink, stirring frequently so the sauce doesn't stick to the pan, this can take about five minutes. Add the garlic and stir fry for another minute. Now add the cooked vegetables that were previously set aside and cook for another minute. Serve immediate with rice or noodles.