One of my favorite ingredients is by far, coconut. I love tasting something and getting that coconut flavor with each bite which that’s the reason why the Colombian natilla that I make at home always has coconut. These coconut macaroons are one of my favorites because they are loaded with this delicious ingredient.
We have a similar version in Colombia which we call “cocadas”, and I will share the recipe on the blog and YouTube channel as soon as I have time. In the meantime, I wanted to share this coconut macaroons recipe with you because it’s really easy to make and because it’s one of my favorite cookies during the holiday season.
- 1 14 oz. (396 g) bag sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 14 oz. (397 g) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- ¼ tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven at 325ºF (163ºC).
- In a large bowl, mix the coconut, condensed milk and vanilla extract.
- Clean a separate bowl and whisk with a paper towel soaked in vinegar. This will remove any grease they may have.
- Place the egg whites and salt in the bowl and whisk at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Carefully fold in the egg whites with the coconut mixture until everything is well incorporated.
- Form small balls with the mixture using a 1½ inch (3.75 cm) ice cream scooper and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You can also use two spoons to form the cookies. Leave a 1 inch (2.50 cm) space between the cookies and bake the for 20-30 minutes or until they're golden brown. Let them cool before serving.