Ever since I posted my recipe for making pumpkin pie last year, I have received several requests to make a delicious carrot cake, but for some reason I didn’t have time to make it until now. ¿Who would have thought that carrots, which are vegetables, would give a cake so much flavor?
I have several different recipes at home to make carrot cake, but today I’m sharing my favorite one because the batter has rum and pecans in it, plus, the cream cheese frosting is made with honey instead of sugar, which gives it a very unique and delicious flavor.
These type of cakes are usually made in the US to celebrate special occasions such as a birthday, Easter, Christmas and Thanksgiving. And that’s why I decided to make it as part of a Thanksgiving Desserts collaboration I’m doing with other YouTube channels. So, if you’re already looking for dessert ideas to serve on Thanksgiving, I suggest you watch this series of videos made by the best cooking channels on YouTube. I will leave you the links to each one in the video, as well as the info box right below it.
|No Bake Pumpking Pie by The Squishy Monster|
|Thanksgiving Cookies by SweetAmbs Cookies|
|Apple Monkey Bread by Simply Bakings|
- 2 cups (280 g) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup (200 g) white sugar
- 1 cup (213 g) brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) olive oil
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (60 ml) rum (optional, you can substitute with milk or water)
- 3 cups (150 g) grated carrots (approx. 6-8 medium)
- 2 cups (250 g) chopped pecans, divided (optional)
- 1 lb. (16 oz.) cream cheese, semi softened
- ½ cup (175 g) honey
- ½ cup (180 ml) heavy cream
- Pre-heat oven at 350ºF (180ºC) and prepare two 9 x 2 inch (23 x 5 cm) round cake pans with butter and flour.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking powder and salt, then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the white sugar, brown sugar and oil on medium speed until well combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl whenever needed. Add the eggs one by one, then add the vanilla, the rum and the carrots. Lower the speed to low and add the dry ingredients, followed by 1 cup (125 g) of pecans.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cakes cool in the pans on cooling racks for about 15 minutes. Then, remove the cakes from the pans and let them cool completely on the cooling racks.
- To make the frosting, whip the cream cheese with the honey on high speed until well combined, about 1-2 minutes. Then, add the heavy cream and whip again for another 1-2 minutes.
- To frost the cake, spread 1/3 of frosting on one of the cakes with an offset spatula. Place the second cake upside down on top of the first cake and frost with another 1/3 of frosting. Then cover the sides of the cake with the remaining frosting. Finally, cover the sides of the cake with the rest of the pecans.
- Place the cake in the refrigerator for a few hours to let the cream cheese firm up and then let it rest at room temperature for a few minutes before serving.