Without a doubt the most popular recipe I have, not only here on the blog, but on my YouTube channel as well, is the Tres Leches Cake recipe. I am really amazed to see that it’s been so well received by so many people. A lot of you have left me many comments letting me know how much you loved it and how easy it was to make, and many others have sent me photos of your final cakes which I have happily shared in my Facebook page.
So, of course, a lot of people also want to make it a little different and they have asked time and time again how to add color to the whipped cream and also how to add different flavors. The most popular being chocolate! I have made plenty of regular chocolate cakes in the past and chocolate whipped cream as well, but I had never made chocolate tres leches cake until a few months ago and the recipe I came up with turned out amazing. All I did is add cocoa powder to everything, the batter, the milk mixture and the whipped cream, which I will post next week, so stay tuned.
Another great surprise I have for you is that for this recipe I am collaborating with Julie who is the creator of Coookedbyjulie, an outstanding cooking channel on YouTube. In Julie’s channel you will find a long list of delicious recipes including the one she’s making for our collaboration, chocolate doughnuts!! How awesome is that?! Please make sure to pay her a visit and also subscribe to her channel, you won’t regret it.
CHOCOLATE TRES LECHES CAKE
Click aquí para versión en español
1½ cups (210 g) all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
3/4 cup (75 g) unsweetened cocoa powder (sifted)
¼ tsp salt
4 egg whites
1 cup (200 g) white sugar
4 egg yolks
½ cup (120 ml) milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 can (396 gr) sweetened condensed milk (approx. 14 oz.)
1 can (354 ml) evaporated milk (approx. 12 oz.)
½ cup (120 ml) heavy cream or whipping cream
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3 cups chocolate whipped cream
1. In a medium bowl mix flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
2. Whisk egg whites until frothy. Then, slowly add sugar while whisking at high speed until it thickens, approximately 3-5 minutes.
3. Add egg yolks one at a time while mixer is still running and mix at high speed for another 3-5 minutes until they’re blended thoroughly.
4. Add half of the flour mixture and keep mixing until it is well blended. Then, add the milk and the vanilla extract. Finally, add the remaining flour. Keep mixing for about 3-5 more minutes until everything is well blended.
5. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33 cm) baking pan pour in the batter. Tap a few times so the air bubbles rise to the top and bake at 350ºF (180ºC) for about 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let baked cake cool inside the pan on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes. Then, take it out of the pan and let it cool completely on the rack.
6. In a small container mix the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, heavy cream and 3 tbsp of cocoa powder. Mix well and set aside.
7. Put the cake back in the baking pan and poke it all over with a skewer or fork. Then, slowly pour the milk mixture over the cake. Cover it with plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight, this is to let the cake absorb the milk mixture completely.
8. Once the cake has absorbed the three milks mixture, cover it with chocolate whipped cream and serve.
Like me on Facebook.
Want to stay up to date on future recipes? Subscribe to this blog as well!