A few days ago I was contacted by the WIGS YouTube channel with a great food challenge called “Quickie Meal“. If you haven’t heard of the WIGS channel I highly suggest you check it out because it’s FABULOUS! The concept is simple, make a delicious recipe that would only take five minutes. Easy enough, right? Wrong. I couldn’t come up with anything that could be made in that short amount of time. I thought about making some sort of pasta dish, but that didn’t work because boiling pasta takes more than five minutes. Then, I thought of some sort of appetizer, but who wants to eat cheese and crackers for dinner? Another idea I had was to make a salad, but then I knew some people wouldn’t go for salads, especially during the winter months. Augh!
On Tuesday, while I was buying a rotisserie chicken at my local grocery store for dinner that night, I had decided I didn’t have enough time to come up with a good recipe and had planned to email WIGS back declining the challenge. But then, as I was putting away our leftover chicken in the fridge, it dawned on me… chicken wraps! But how do I give them some flavor because chicken alone can be so bland? Then I thought about using the garlic mayo I use for my Colombian sauces with a little bit if chili powder, add some black beans with salsa and that’s it!
The next day I set up my camera and decided that if I couldn’t make those wraps in less five minutes, I wasn’t going to take part in the challenge at all. But I did make them in less than five minutes and even had time left over to pour me a nice glass of water. Oh! And did I mention they turned out AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS? Challenge accepted… Challenge accomplished.
- ½ cup (125gr) mayo
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cooked half chicken breasts (about 2 cups or 250 g) I used leftover rotisserie chicken
- 4 large tortillas (approx. 10 inches or 25 cm)
- 4 pieces of lettuce
- ½ cup (130 g) canned black beans (drained)
- ½ cup (128 g) salsa
- ½ cup (25 g) chopped cilantro
- ½ cup (50 g) shredded cheese of your choice (Mexican blend, cheddar, Monterrey, etc)
- In a medium bowl mix the mayo, chili powder, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cut the chicken into small cubes and add it to the mayo mix. Make sure the chicken is well coated and divide it into 4 equal servings.
- To assemble the wraps place a piece of lettuce on a tortilla, then add ¼ serving of the chicken mix and 1 tbsp of each of the following: black beans, salsa, cilantro and cheese. Fold the end of the wrap, as well as the sides, and then roll up tightly to form a burrito. Cut each wrap in half before serving.